Saturday, October 04, 2008

NOT FROM HERE

How do you explain "Out of Many One People"
The unusual tug-of-war between pleasance and aggression
Uptown versus downtown
Browning versus Blacknin'
Patios versus Standard English

How can I explain why...
I miss this damn place so much
Yet it seems so imperfect
Has anyone been so in love with an imperfection
Maybe obsessed, but not in love

This imperfection is one of my favourites
Perfecting it may make it better
But sometimes I like it just for what it is
Somewhat raw and at times unsophisticated,
Yet warm and genuine
That is exactly what gives it's character

It always reminds me that I have never wanted to be from here
Well I lie. I did when I was in my imperfect world as a child and thought
Wow, this place of Mattel toys and fast food must be the best place ever,
But now that I am living here in 4-monthly spurts
All i can say is that it's full of as much shit as anywhere else
And my jerk chicken, ackee and saltfish, dance a road every weeknight and terrible customers service really has more to desire than I had thought

I now relish my culture.
I obsess over it
I'm proud of it
Almost willing to die for it
Mi love it cyaan dun
Why would anyone want anything else
I'm really happy I'm not from here!

No comments: