Tuesday, February 06, 2007

UPDATE

Hey bloggers, jus giving ya'll an update. Just went to the Reggae Ensemble...they play everything there from reggae dub to dancehall. The ensemble is worth 1 credit, but my credits are full to the brim, but i'm still gonna do it, cause there is no better reminder of home than to hear some reggae, and not jus Bob Marley (No disrespect to Uncle Bob...Oh and Happy Birthday Bob, Jamaica loves you!). I have to make a CD tonight with music i'd like to contribute. I played "Weddy Weddy Time" by Voicemail in the class, as well as Ritchie Spice "Youths are So Cold", and he liked them both. So i plan to put some Junior Gong and Tanya Stephens on the CD as well...i could put anything, there is so much. Have to give it in by tomorrow tho, so that limits me...feel free to email anything to me or suggest anything (maregut@gmail.com). The music library kinda scant inna di winta!

So that was a good experience. The lecturer is from St. Kitts, hence the Caribbean influence. He also has a Caribbean ensemble that does soca, so Caribbean music is well represented here...and the musicians actually do a good job at playing it. Nothing beats Jamaican musicians playing Jamaican music, but these guys are damn good!

Now time for my funny moment. I enter the library, and this guy from South Korea is reading. He doesn't even say good afternoon or anything. He just calls me over and asks me what a word in his novel means...almost simultaneously he asks, "Where are you from?", in a dry type of tone. I say "Jamaica", then he says, "It's ok, its's alright", almost sending me back to my seat. LOL. Mi glad mi a get ole, cah if mi did inna mi ignorant days mi woulda get hignorant! Oh the word was "TURD". So for all you English majors you go look dat up. The sad part is i was so familiar with the word, but no definition was coming to my head, so i couldn't at that time even be witty and disprove whatever was going on in his head. This is where misinterpretations is a bad thing. Homeboy probably was just frustrated and decided not to bother asking me again and figured he'd find out on his own, cuz it all happened pretty quickly OR we will hope that it is not because I'm Jamaican and we don't speak "perfect English", as i'm told i speak, which seems to be quite a novelty. At least we know what the world thinks about our English (Well some parts of the world). Of course mi jump pon mi Mac dictionary and look up turd...it would have been the perfect word to be witty with. Oh what a shame. Foe those of you like myself who did not have an immediate memory, it can be defined as A LUMP OF EXCREMENT; Often used in Golf, and also refers to someone who is obnoxiuos.

Well i'm learning to ignore TURDISH behaviour, cause only ignorant TURDS conduct themselves that way. Now i shall elevate myslef and not offend anyone. But how offensive. Now that i have blog vented again, i must say i am in such a good mental state that not even a TURD could sidetrack me, so God bless that.

Oh this blog is getting long, but if i don't talk about this i won't forgive myself. Went to this meeting yesterday..."Songwriting Club"...it was off da chain. All i have to say is dat this school have some crazy talent. CRAZY!! I had only got 2 myspace pages at the time, so i'm gonna gi dem a buss. This guys is like already signed in my books...from Scotland, and a voice like no other. He had the ladies weak, and had me speechless. he is Jonathan Carr (www.myspace.com/johnathancarr88). He's only 18, but he is AWESOME. This other guy goes by the name Deffy and you can check him out at www.myspace.com/deffymusic , and there were so many more awesome musicians. I'll continue to send you myspace links.

A good lesson i'm learning is that as a vocalist you should focus on learning songs and song words. You never know what someone might want you to sing. A good start is to make sure the songs that you like you know them inside out. One day it will pay off i assure you.

JAMAICA JAMAICA...MI LUV UNNU. PEACE!!

No comments: