Friday, March 11, 2011

YOUR KARTEL OR MY KARTEL?





It has been a long time since I've been so intrigued by someone that I feel the need to comment on them, but the dancehall artist, Adidja Palmer aka Vybz Kartel, encompasses so many dimensions and layers that I find it hard not to comment on him. His artistry is so finely intertwined with his persona, well at least his public persona. Like many a great artist he seems to have such an uncanny ability to present himself in a way that absolves him of any wrong. And for this reason, this man has not only the intrigue of Jamaicans, but for sure the Caribbean people and other persons in many parts of the world. His multitude and complexity of layers makes him so hard to deconstruct and criticize, I don't even know where to start.

EDUCATION: First I must comment on the fact that he was expelled from high school in 10th grade, but expresses himself with better decorum than many others of greater maturity and higher educational status. He read through his notes (At his UWI lecture - Mar 10, 2011) with the clearest diction, and not one utterance of an 'umm' or an 'ahh', clearly enunciating and punctuating his sentences, under the eyes of hundreds of onlooking students, media, and highly intrigued individuals. He has dispelled and continues to dispel the perception that DJs are often uneducated and unable to present themselves in different fora. But this said characteristic of extreme intelligence somewhat contradicts his extreme artistry.

MUSIC: So the said DJ who speaks the Queen's English and can counter with an answer, any question against him (as good as any veteran Jamaican politician) is the same DJ who sings "Tek buddy gal", "Virginity" and a catalogue of other songs about explicit sex amongst other controversial topics such as skin bleaching.

HIS CHALLENGES: So many Jamaicans adore 'The Teacher', as he is also called, likening himself to some kind of prophet of sorts. Many other Jamaicans on the other hand despise him for creating music that is not uplifting, music that is easy accessible and at the lips of any Jamaican child over or even under 5 years of age. They are digusted by his choice to bleach his skin and lighten his complexion, and by his choice to use his body as a canvas to his many tattoos. To them he is a negative influence. I fear some of this hatred is jealousy, as he seems to revel in the attention, creating Vybz Rum and Kartel Cake Soap (marketed as a skin lightening agent, though probably best used to wash clothes), and not to mention is own brand of condoms. I think this hatred of Kartel may be justified as it is clear to many that he has power through artistry, to influence many a mind that is less educated than himself. So it is fair to question the intent of someone who takes advantage of their influence, or uses it to capitalize in personal business ventures.

HIS DEFENSE: Kartel says he is not a political or social figure, but he is an entertainer, who sings adult-oriented content. This apparently makes it ok for someone of his influence to do as they please. This is where the debate ensues, and everyone even has to stop and ask themselves whether they like Kartel or not. For me this is not a hard answer...I am and have always been a fan of the artist. I am a great fan of the music (which I agree is for adults). What is debatable is whether and artist should feel the need to uphold any sort of SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY? I personally believe that whether you are an artist by choice or default, you become thrusted in the eyes of the public and that becomes your career. I feel social responsibility is an embedded role in that career, and one that you must embrace, even though you may chose not to (as does Kartel). Your responsibility may be to spread a message. I believe Kartel's message is one of sharing the truth of his upbringing, his day to day life and one of self-expression...that one can do whatever they please with themselves, and that is their responsibility. This message seems to also be I don't care that children understand the sexually explicit things I say because they have access to my music, I don't care that young boys are washing their faces with cake soap upward of twice a day to attain a lighter complexion, and I don't really care about what people have to say as long as I can sell my products and continue to get attention which drives my business. This to me seems to be a man on a journey to be a mogul, but not one of great morality. Should we adorn someone who is immoral is the next question you should ask yourself.

That said I have a great respect for this artist, his lyrical ability, his ability to engage an audience through his craft, and through his ability to speak his mind. I appreciate his knowledge of history and how he could make it relevant to his journey as an artist. I think the one thing I disagree with is how socially irresponsible he is, as his actions directly influence thousands of Jamaicans who feel it is ok to bleach their skin simply because Kartel does it. And many of them are not even intelligent enough to appreciate the medical side effects much less the degradation of character and lack of pride in such actions. I hope that this presentation of Kartel will make it more clear to some what to take seriously from this DJ who is intelligent to have the world in the palm of his hand, and what to ignore. I will always be intrigued by persons who can demand such attention, which also seems the be the problem everyone else is having too...good or bad, we just can't seem to get enough of Kartel.

No comments: